I’m Jen. This is weird.
You likely don’t know me. So, I guess I’ll introduce myself. Maybe, while I’m at it, I should probably tell you what this blog is about. You know, so you can decide right now whether you are interested enough to stick around….I do hope you stick around.
I am a 30ish year-old female. I have a husband, two children, and two dogs. I live in western-PA and hold down a full time job. Does that paint a picture for you? I’m sure it makes you think of some frazzle-haired woman who spends her evenings and weekends in her pj’s with food in her hair and her glasses on. That’s not far off….
When I’m not cleaning poop from my 10-month-old’s butt or scrubbing dried pee from the toilet bowl, you can find me hiding behind a book or computer screen (or most likely…I’ll be laying in bed at 10 at night, my face aglow by the light of the cell phone). Because, you see, I have a problem. It’s an Instagram-looking, numerous cold case reading, multiple-books-going-at-one-time problem. I’m pretty good at a lot of things. But, I’m bad at learning one thing completely and really bad at finishing anything. So, I’m doing this for myself for reasons like:
- Completing one whole post and sharing it with you – so I can say I did it and so you can judge me
- Finishing a whole book or completely researching a murder – so you can learn something about it; because we all like to learn something new….especially about murderers, right?
- Doing something other than wasting my time looking at someone else’s photos or reading about T. Swift’s latest boyfriend – everyone only shares the best, most happy pictures of their lives….which isn’t good for me or anyone else…and actually: celebrities are frying my brain.
So, what’s in it for you? I mean I’m being selfish by creating this blog, right? I think we are all selfish when we decide to write something. We do it for our own reasons, regardless of what it’s about. So I think you should stay. Stay because:
- You want to know how I make pureed squash for this baby that crawls around my house and puts everything in her mouth
- You like knowing about authors Amy Hempel and Chuck Palahniuk; and killers like John Wayne Gacy and the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker
- You, like me, like reading something, even if it’s just someone else giving their perspective
As you see, I’ve decided to call this place “My Fail Better”. Samuel Beckett was an Irish novelist, playwright, and poet who lived from 1906-1989. He spent most of his life in Paris, France. He was an all-around badass. Everything he wrote has been interpreted countless ways and mostly offers a bleak, dark outlook on human life. He tells us we are nondescript and unmemorable…and he’s right. But, in all of his darkness he offers that we keep trying – that we keep beating our heads against that wall. He says:
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”
So here we are. Let’s try again. Here’s my fail better.